DYV wins People's Choice and Knight Arts Challenge Detroit!
Detroit Youth Volume won $22,000! In order to access this grant from Knight Arts Challenge Detroit, we must raise the $22,000 match first. Please continue to support the project. Choose your plan(s) of action:
- JOIN THE FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE Stay up to date on our fundraising efforts and learn more about project details
- DONATE NOW Click to visit our online giving page
- PLEDGE TO DONATE on Day 1 of our kickstarter campaign Nov 30th by firstname.lastname@example.org with your pledge amount. The most successful crowdsourcing campaigns have 50% of their goal pledged before the campaign begins.
About our Knight Arts Challenge project Our project celebrates, reflects and furthers what’s happening, and what’s been happening, in the City of Detroit. With a professionally recorded album, we will show the world how we've integrated internationally-loved Suzuki violin repertoire into our own Detroit jams. Over 20 youth, ages six to eighteen, from Capuchin Soup Kitchen receiving free violin lessons through DYV will record, produce and publicly perform our album in the summer of 2016.
- Detroit Youth Volume, violinists and album art co-designers
- Sterling Toles, beat-maker, album co-producer, recording engineer
- Stevie Soul, beat boxer
- Nick Speed, beat-maker
- Tunde Olaniran, album co-producer
- Matthew Cross, recording engineer
- Twinkle with Beats (Suzuki Variation A) featuring beats by Sterling Toles
- Lightly Row Beats in a Scroll, featuing beat boxing by Stevie Soul
- Song of the Wind, featuring beats by Nick Speed
- Detroit Youth Volume with beat-makers Sterling Toles, Stevie Soul (live), Nick Speed
- Invincible, activist MC and friends
- HardCore Detroit urban dance crew
- CutTime Players classical ensemble
Album release party location:
TBA -- have an idea? email us!
Did you win the People's Choice Award? DYV received 1,396 votes out of the total 6,800, which broke records! The People's Choice winner was the Hamtramck Free School, who facilitates poetry classes called Writers Bloc for men in prison. The poets, many are fathers, did not want to take money from the competing youth organizations (DYV, Stitching Up Detroit and Heritage Works) so they opted to give their share to another organization on the condition that Knight Foundation would provide $20k to the remaining two nominees. At the awards ceremony, Knight president surprised the crowd by offering $20k to all four People's Choice nominees!
DYV will put our $20k toward paying our violin teachers to provide Private Lessons to all 23 students. Once we raise the match, our Knight Arts Challenge grant will cover the album project and 50% of our Group Classes.
November 18, 2105 - 7pm
Featured performers with CutTime
Simfonica of Classical Revolution Detroit
at St CeCes
December 10, 2015
Kickstarter Fundraising Party
at PJ Lager House
Early evening folk show co-sponsored bySeraphine Collective. Later show featuring DYV hip hop artists from the album to-be.
December 12 2015 - 6-8pm
Teatro del Chico at Mexicantown Mercado
DYV will collaborate with beat-maker Sterling Stoles at an all-ages community program of the DIA's 30 Americans exhibit, an evening of art and dance
December 18, 2015 5-7pm
Holiday Potluck and Play In
at St Charles Parrish
Fans, family and friends all welcome!
SALE Alternative Gift holiday cards Choose alternative gift giving by donating toDetroit Youth Volume in honor of a loved one. Receive a bright, beautiful holiday photo card with this message:
In your honor, I gave the gift of music by donating to Detroit Youth Volume. Thank you for helping make Suzuki violin lessons FREE to youth from
Capuchin Soup Kitchen in Detroit!
Choose your price: $5-25 per card
Place your order by email@example.com or visiting our fiscal sponsor's online store: https://store.alliedmedia.org/
Food Justice Task Force welcomes Kamaria Gray, DYV snack chef Facilitated by board member Linda Campbell, the Food Justice Task Force is funding healthy afterschool snacks forDetroit Youth Volume. We are excited to welcome snack chef, Kamaria Gray, onto the DYV team. It takes a village! Kamaria is a baker at neighboring cafe Sister Pie.
Visit Kamaria's instragram to see what she has cooked for us each week!
Young Artists Award On October 21st, Astarria and her grandmother, Miss Clara and board member Kim Christopher accepted the Young Artist Award on behalf of DetroitYouth Volume. The award was presented at the 18th Annual Recognition Awards Ceremony Wayne County Council for Arts, History and Humanities. DYV's favorite jazz bassist, Marion Hayden, also received an award and took a photo with Star after the ceremony. During her acceptance speech, she read a quote, "To whom much is given, much is required." We feel the same way!